Wednesday, June 25, 2008

7 Hours in Phoenix


Well you guessed it.  I'm here at the Phoenix airport where I've been for the last 4 hours, with only 3 more hours to go.  This is by far the longest layover I've ever had.  You might be wondering, "what does one do while stuck in an airport for such an extremely long time?"  Same question I asked myself when I arrived here.  

So far, I've gone through security again, attempted to take a nap, poked around in Borders, wandered aimlessly, had dinner at Chili's, talked with mom (twice), flipped through some magazines at the newsstand, and tried to connect to the internet.  But the biggest challenge so far has been to not spend any money.  (besides dinner.)  

Do you know how hard that is when you're trapped in an airport with a Starbucks every 10 feet.?!  It's hard, man.  I'm sitting outside of one now, smelling the delicious caffeine-ness of it all and trying hard to resist spending $4.00 on a cup of goodness.  Maybe I need to move to another area.  Hopefully I'll be flying out of here soon, with my wallet and sanity intact.  What do you guys do when you're stuck in an airport?

I just looked up and the store I'm sitting in front of (across from the Starbucks) is called Desert Breeze.  Were they trying for sarcasm?  I've been in Arizona before my friends, and let me tell ya, there is No breeze.   

On another note, if you want to see the worst dressed people in America, visit any airport.  No wait.  Wal-mart and themeparks might take the top two spots, but airports follow really close behind.  I know people want to look comfortable, but how hard is it to look decent?  

Well, that's all my airport musings for now.  I think I might try to take a nap again.  I'll try my best to find a spot far away from the tempting aromas of Starbucks.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey there cuz. It was sure nice seeing you before you left on your next adventure. It has been a long time since I was in an airport, but I like to pass the times with some puzzles (if you are into that sort of thing). My favorite is the number fill-ins. I have wasted many hours on those. lol. Hopefully you have maintained your willpower to not buy a cup of $4.00 coffee. Really, you could almost buy a whole tub of coffee for that much... hehehe... Happy trails, and we miss you already! Love ya!